[Rd] mpi.h errors on Mavericks packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Oct 4 03:10:00 CEST 2014

Daniel,

On Oct 3, 2014, at 7:17 PM, Daniel Fuka <drf28 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Dear mac folks,
>
> I have started porting a large legacy toolset maintained in windows
> and heavily mpi laden so it can be used across platforms in R... so I
> am building a package out of it. On this note, I am noticing that
> almost all of the mpi dependent packages do not compile on the CRAN
> repositories.... with the basic issue that it appears it can not find
> mpi installed:
>
> configure: error: "Cannot find mpi.h header file"
>
> I do not see any chatter about mpi issues in the lists since the
> inception of mavericks.. and possibly this question should go to
> Simon.. but in case I missed a discussion, or if anyone has any
> suggestions on how to proceed, or what might be missing from the Rmpi,
> npRmpi, etc. packages for compilation on Mavericks, it would be
> greatly appreciated if you could let me know.. and maybe I can help
> fix the other packages as well.

Apple has removed MPI from recent OS X versions so it is not available there.

So currently, you have to install whatever MPI implementation you prefer from sources since neither the libraries nor the toolchain are available. What Apple used to ship was OpenMPI which still exists, but to my best knowledge there is no official, maintained binary for OS X so on Mavericks we have nothing to build CRAN binaries against, so you have to install everything from sources.

Cheers,
Simon