[Rd] debuggingState() analogous to tracingState() ?

Stephan Wahlbrink stephan.wahlbrink at walware.de
Thu Oct 2 21:59:43 CEST 2014

The possibility to temporarily turn off debugging sounds interesting. A
short comment at the end

Am 2014-10-02 um 16:55 schrieb Martin Maechler:
> We have had some conversation within R core,
> lead by Duncan Murdoch and me, about a proposal
> to extend  the current  tracingState() functionality
> by something tentatively called debuggingState().
>
> Duncan has allowed me to copy the previous conversation
> (after very minor editing):
>
> The following is quite technical and assumes you know more about
> R's debug()ing and trace()ing than an estimated 99.9% of the R users:

>   > On 02/10/2014, 6:36 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
>   >>>>>>> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
>   >>>>>>> on Thu, 2 Oct 2014 05:41:00 -0400 writes:
>   >>
>   >> > On 02/10/2014, 5:17 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
>   >> >>>>>>> Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>   >> >>>>>>> on Sat, 27 Sep 2014 22:55:21 +0200 writes:
>   >> >>
>   >> >> > It would be really nice to temporarily disable debugging similar to
>   >> >> > tracingState() being able to turn of trace()ing.
>   >> >>
>   >> >> > In eval.c  the corresponding C code would be used as the  tracingState()
>   >> >> > analogue is used.
>   >> >>
>   >> >> > [...........]
>   >> >> > ???
>   >> >>
>   >> >> It seems to work ok, the few cases I've tried.
>   >> >>
>   >> >> I wonder a bit about the R / C interface.
>   >> >> Using an extra function  debuggingState() seems a bit of a
>   >> >> waste, and I was thinking of enhancing
>   >> >> tracingState() from a 1-argument to a 2-argument form.
>   >> >>
>   >> >> something like
>   >> >>
>   >> >> tracingState <- function(on = NULL, debug = on)
>   >> >>         .Internal(traceOnOff(on, debug))
>   >> >>
>   >> >> but I don't see how to keep usages such as
>   >> >>
>   >> >>   on <- tracingState(FALSE)	 # turn it off QUICKLY (via a .Internal)
>   >> >>   if(on) {
>   >> >>     on.exit(tracingState(TRUE)) # restore on exit, keep off during trace
>   >> >>     ............
>   >> >>   }
>   >> >>
>   >> >> working back compatibly.
>   >> >>
>   >> >> We could think of tracingState() only returning length one when
>   >> >> called with one argument, and returning length two when called
>   >> >> with a second argument... but that seems messy.
>   >> >>
>   >> >> If nobody has a better idea, I'd commit a new   debuggingState()
>   >> >> function which is very much "parallel" to  tracingState().
>   >>
>   >> > It's hard to comment on this, because I don't know exactly what
>   >> > behaviour is controlled by the debugging flag.
>   >>
>   >> Good point.  The flag, accessed via RDEBUG(.), is used in quite a few places,
> [...]

I think a common pattern could be:

state <- debuggingState(FALSE) # disable debugging
# run special code...
debuggingState(state) # restore state

If the first line disables both, debugging _and_ tracing, it would be
convenient if the last line restores the exact state; also mixed state
like debugging= on but tracing= off, if tracing was disabled.

Stephan