[Rd] Problem understanding behaviour of versionCheck for loadNamespace (and when versions for Imports packages are checked)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 02:08:54 CET 2014

On 26/11/2014, 7:38 PM, Geoff Lee wrote:
> Many thanks Duncan for the quick response.

A little too quick, it seems...

> A bug is a relief in a way. I've been digging my way deeper into this (and
> learning more as I go) for several days now - but it is a diversion from (a
> diversion from) my main goal :-(
>
> Is there somewhere specific I should report or log the bug or will that
> happen from this mailing-list automatically? (I have seen the Bug Tracking
> link on the r-project page and followed that, but don't yet have a Bugzilla
> account, nor know the precise mechanics and protocols for notifying a bug)

If you can put together a simple set of steps to illustrate a bug, then
reporting on bugs.r-project.org is the way to get it recorded.
Reporting it on this list is really hit and miss.  But I think from your
previous description, something else is going on.  When I try to load a
namespace with a bad version number, I get an error:

loadNamespace("rgl", versionCheck=list(name="rgl", op=">",
version=package_version('3.0')))
Error in loadNamespace("rgl", versionCheck = list(name = "rgl", op =
">",  :
  namespace ‘rgl’ 0.95.1163 is being loaded, but > 3.0 is required

Duncan Murdoch