[Rd] Changing style for the Sweave vignettes

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Nov 14 12:26:40 CET 2014

> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:09:47 +0100
> From: January Weiner <january.weiner at gmail.com>
> To: r-devel <r-devel at r-project.org>
> Subject: [Rd] Changing style for the Sweave vignettes
>
> As a user, I am always annoyed beyond measure that Sweave vignettes
> precede the code by a command line prompt. It makes running examples
> by simple copying of the commands from the vignette to the console a
> pain. I know the idea is that it is clear what is the command, and
> what is the output, but I'd rather precede the output with some kind
> of marking.
>
> Is there any other solution possible / allowed in vignettes? I would
> much prefer to make my vignettes easier to use for people like me.
>
> Kind regards,
> j.

There are different types of people, and some find the default Sweave
format easier.

For a beginner, it is best that the code and output should look the same
in the Sweave vignette as it would look on the screen during an actual
session.

Windows users have access to "paste commands only".  For them the default
Sweave vignette format is perfectly convenient -- one can easily cut and
paste whole pages straight from pdf into the R session.

Perhaps a "paste commands only" app for Unix would keep everyone happy :)

Gordon