[Rd] subscripting a data.frame (without changing row order) changes internal row.names

Dr Gregory Jefferis jefferis at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 00:27:22 CET 2014

Hi Kevin, Joshua,

Many thanks for this additional information.

On 10 Nov 2014, at 22:21, Kevin Ushey wrote:

> I believe the question here is related to the sign on the compact row
> names representation: why is it sometimes `c(NA, <positive>)` and
> sometimes `c(NA, <negative>)` -- why the difference in sign?

It was indeed the difference in sign that Kevin highlights that was
puzzling me

> To the best of my knowledge, older versions of R used the signed-ness
> of compact row.names to differentiate between different 'types' of
> data.frames, but that should no longer be necessary. Unless there is
> some reason not to, I believe R should standardize on one
> representation, and consider it a bug if the other is seen.

[snip, Joshua wrote ]

>> Look at ?.row_names_info (which is mentioned in the See Also section
>> of ?row.names) and its type argument.

>> The first are "automatic".  The second are a compact form of 1:10, as
>> mentioned in ?row.names.  I'm not certain of the root cause/reason,
>> but the second object will not have "automatic" rownames because you
>> have subset it with a non-missing 'i'.

Quoting ?.row_names_info for

> .row_names_info(x, type = 1L)

> Currently type = 0 returns the internal "row.names" attribute
> (possibly NULL), type = 2 the number of rows implied by the attribute,
> and type = 1 the latter with a negative sign for ‘automatic’ row
> names.

> .row_names_info(df2)
[1] 10
> .row_names_info(df)
[1] -10

So indeed the first case is marked as automatic, the second not.

Thanks again,

Greg.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                   Tel: 01223 267048
Division of Neurobiology

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/group-leaders/h-to-m/g-jefferis
http://jefferislab.org
http://flybrain.stanford.edu