[Rd] A bug in princomp(), perhaps?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat May 31 21:47:48 CEST 2014

FWIW this seems to be a FAQ:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2003-July/027018.html

http://thr3ads.net/r-devel/2013/01/
   2171832-Re-na.omit-option-in-prcomp-formula-interface-only

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/
  na-omit-option-in-prcomp-formula-interface-only-td4373533.html

And two StackOverflow questions (the latter's a bit tangential):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12078291/
   r-function-prcomp-fails-with-nas-values-even-though-nas-are-allowed

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23421438/what-was-wrong-with-running-princomp-in-r/23446938#23446938

  (Sorry for broken URLs and random assortment of mailing list
aggregators.)

  I appreciate Gavin's points that implementing this stuff for
princomp.default is difficult/problematic, but I second Ravi's
request for a little  more clarification in the help  text; it's
quite easy to miss the fact that 'na.action' is defined for
princomp.formula but not for princomp.default.  Perhaps just
"Note that setting na.action works for princomp.formula, but
not for princomp.default" (under the "na.action" argument description).