[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sat May 31 06:22:03 CEST 2014

Hi Kevin,

Personally I also avoid code that have side effects in the inline
expressions, but I think there are legitimate use cases in which
inline expressions have side effects. This discussion was motivated by
Carl's knitcitations package, as well as another question on
StackOverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/q/23927325/559676).

I'm aware of the distinction between the original literate programming
paradigm and the one in R (that is why I said "literate programming in
R" instead of "literate programming in general"). In R, weave actually
does what both weave and tangle do in the original paradigm -- there
is no need to tangle the document to get the computer code so that we
can execute it.

To Carl: I agree that it is a little extreme to drop tangle entirely,
so I think at least knitr::purl() will stay there in the foreseeable
future. I tend to adopt Henrik's idea, i.e., to provide vignette
engines that just ignore tangle. At the moment, it seems R CMD check
is comfortable with vignettes that do not have corresponding R
scripts, and I hope these R scripts will not become mandatory in the
future.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Regards,
Yihui