[Rd] R crash using Sys.which on Windows

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at openanalytics.eu
Tue May 6 20:28:54 CEST 2014

Dear list,

When installing the latest version of Rtools (3.1.0.1942) into a path that contains more than 96 characters on Windows 7 64-bit,
e.g. into

C:\TheLatestRtoolsInAPathWithMoreThanNinetySixCharactersWillCrashTheRSessionUponCallingTheSysWhichFunctionInRToGetTheGccPath

and assuming that the Rtools bin paths have been appropriately added to the PATH environment variable as in

c:\TheLatestRtoolsInAPathWithMoreThanNinetySixCharactersWillCrashTheRSessionUponCallingTheSysWhichFunctionInRToGetTheGccPath\bin;c:\TheLatestRtoolsInAPathWithMoreThanNinetySixCharactersWillCrashTheRSessionUponCallingTheSysWhichFunctionInRToGetTheGccPath\gcc-4.6.3\bin

the following call from RGui 64-bit (version 3.1.0) reproducibly causes R to crash:

Sys.which("ls")

Sys.which seems to use an internal function on Windows. Is this a known issue?

Please let me know if I can provide any more relevant information.

Best,
Tobias