[Rd] Conflicting definitions for function redefined as S4 generics

Ulrich Bodenhofer bodenhofer at bioinf.jku.at
Thu Mar 27 10:13:31 CET 2014

I fully agree, Michael, that this would be a great thing to have! I have
often wondered why R and the standard packages are still sticking so
much to the old-style S3 flavor though S4 is part of standard R. I
acknowledge that backward compatibility is important, but, as far as I
got it, redefining a function or S3 generic as an S4 generic should not
harm existing functionality (if done properly). If it turns out not to
be a good option to do this in the base package, why not as part of the
methods package? That will leave existing functionality of base
unchanged and will provide a clean situation to all users/packages using S4.

This should not create a compatibility problem on the Bioconductor side
either, since Bioconductor releases are explicitly bound to specific R
versions. Once again: I fully support this idea (not only for sort(),
but also for a wide range of other functions), though, not being an R
core team member, I do not really feel in the position to demand such a
fundamental change.

For the time being, it seems I have three options:

1) not supplying the sort() function yet (it is not yet in the release,
but only in my internal devel version)
2) including a dependency to BiocGenerics
3) leaving the problem open, mentioning in the documentation that users
who want to use apcluster in conjunction with Bioconductor should load
BiocGenerics first

As far as I got it, there seems to be no other clean way to get rid of
the problem, right?

Best regards,
Ulrich