[Rd] Docker versus Vagrant for reproducability - was: The case for freezing CRAN

Kirill Müller kirill.mueller at ivt.baug.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 22 17:39:07 CET 2014

On 03/22/2014 02:10 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2014 12:38, "Philippe GROSJEAN" <Philippe.GROSJEAN at umons.ac.be>
> wrote:
>> On 21 Mar 2014, at 20:21, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In my opinion it is somewhat cumbersome to use this for everyday work,
>>> although good virtualization software definitely helps.
>>>
>>> Gabor
>>>
>> Additional info: you access R into the VM from within the host by ssh.
> You can enable x11 forwarding there and you also got GUI stuff. It works
> like a charm, but there are still some problems on my side when I try to
> disconnect and reconnect to the same R process. I can solve this with, say,
> screen. However, if any X11 window is displayed while I disconnect, R
> crashes immediately on reconnection.
>
> You might find the program 'xpra' useful. It's like screen, but for x11
> programs.
>
> -n
I second that. However, by default, xpra and GNU Screen are not aware of
each other. To connect to xpra from within GNU Screen, you usually need
to set the DISPLAY environment variable manually. I have described a
solution that automates this, so that GUI applications "just work" from
within GNU Screen and also survive a disconnect:
http://krlmlr.github.io/integrating-xpra-with-screen/ .

-Kirill