[Rd] version numbers for CRAN submissions that give warnings/notes

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 21:51:12 CET 2014

On 06/03/2014 20:22, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 06/03/2014 2:39 PM, Michael Friendly wrote:
>> It often happens that I submit a new revision of a package, say
>> mypkg-1.0-10, from R-Forge
>> to CRAN after running R CMD check locally and looking at the log files
>> on R-Forge.
>> But R-Forge has the devel checks disabled, and I get an email from CRAN
>> pointing out
>> some new warning or note I'm asked to correct.

So do as the CRAN policies ask, and check with R-devel locally (or on
winbuilder).  CRAN does not run R-Forge and suggestions should be made
to its management.

>> OK, I correct this and commit a new rev to R-Forge.  But, is it still
>> required to bump the
>> version number to mypkg-1.0-11 before resubmitting to CRAN, even though
>> mypkg-1.0-10
>> did not make it there?
>>
>> To do so means also modifying the DESCRIPTION, NEWS and
>> mypkg-package.Rd files even for a minor warning or note.

Not really: much more courteous to follow the policies and get it right
in the first place.

> That sounds like a question about CRAN policy, so I think you'll need to
> write to cran at r-project.org for an answer.  But I would assume it could
> cause confusion if you submitted another identically named tarball, and
> I'd recommend bumping the version number.

That's the correct advice.  CRAN does not in general currently insist
that each submission has a new number, but enough maintainers get
confused that it is recommended (and for maintainers with a track record
of confusion, insisted on).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk