[Rd] reference classes, LAZY_DUPLICATE_OK, and external pointers

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Mar 3 02:05:36 CET 2014

Ben,

On Mar 2, 2014, at 7:38 PM, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:

> We (the lme4 authors) are having a problem with doing a proper deep
> copy of a reference class object in recent versions of R-devel with
> the LAZY_DUPLICATE_OK flag in src/main/bind.c enabled.
>
> Apologies in advance for any improper terminology.
>
> TL;DR Is there an elegant way to force non-lazy/deep copying in our
> case? Is anyone else using reference classes with a field that is an
> external pointer?
>
> This is how copying of reference classes works in a normal
> situation:
>
> library(data.table) ## for address() function
> setRefClass("defaultRC",fields="theta")
> d1 <- new("defaultRC")
> d1$theta <- 1
> address(d1$theta)  ##  "0xbbbbb70"
> d2 <- d1$copy()
> address(d2$theta)  ## same as above
> d2$theta <- 2
> address(d2$theta)  ## now modified, by magic
> d1$theta  ## unmodified
>
> The extra complication in our case is that many of the objects within
> our reference class are actually accessed via an external pointer,
> which is initialized when necessary -- details are copied below for
> those who want them, or you can see the code at
> https://github.com/lme4/lme4
>
> The problem is that this sneaky way of copying the object's contents
> doesn't trigger R's (new) rules for recognizing that a non-lazy copy
> should be made.

This is not R's decision - AFAICS your code is incorrectly assuming that there is no other reference where there is no such guarantee. Your code that assigns into the external pointer has to make that decision - it's not R's to make since you are taking the full responsibility for external pointers by circumventing R's handing. External pointers had always had reference semantics. Note that this is not new - you had to inspect the NAMED bits and call duplicate() yourself to guarantee a copy even in previous R versions. It just so happened that bugs of not doing so were often masked by R being more conservative such that in some circumstanced there were enough references to function arguments that R would defensively create a new copy.

So, the same applies as it did before - if you store something that you want to be mutable in C/C++ you have to check the references and call duplicate() if you don't own the only reference.

Cheers,
Simon