[Rd] R CMD check warning with S3 method

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 15:19:20 CEST 2014

On 30/06/2014 8:51 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> I think it's generally nice to be able to compute on the network of
> imported and exported symbols, and exportFrom() preserves the
> information that a symbol has been forwarded. But let's focus on the
> use case of documenting the symbol.
>
> First, from the user perspective: my understanding (without testing
> anything) is that with promptImport(), the call to help() will find
> two or more hits to the symbol, so the user has to choose from a menu
> or otherwise qualify the package.

It depends how the user formulates it.  The usual ?foo will find at
least two hits.  But if a user qualifies it by saying ?pkg::foo,
they'll just get the redirect page.

I think we need ?pkg::foo to do something, and this seemed easier than
inventing an invisible redirect.

> Choosing the man page for the re-exported symbol will bring up a page
> that just requests them to make an extra click. This seems like extra
> work for the user. One potential benefit is that the user will know
> that a re-export has occurred, but does the user care? Why not proceed
> directly to the actual documentation? The majority of users have no or
> little knowledge of namespaces.

I think some users would like to know that pkg::foo is identical to
original::foo, so if we had the invisible redirect, I think the target
page should be modified to say "redirected from ...", just so the users
were sure they had come to the right place.

> From the developer perspective, promptImport() means that there is
> another man page to worry about, while exportFrom() would make it
> clear to developers reading the NAMESPACE that symbols are being
> simply forwarded, rather than re-defined.

Those are both benefits of your approach, which I wouldn't object to if
you go ahead and do it subject to the qualifications above, and one
other.  How should existing redirects be handled?  If a package imports
and re-exports a symbol without change, should the author be
encouraged/required to use exportFrom?  If we do nothing, most people
will just do what they're currently doing, so maybe some sort of nag
should be added.  Package writers won't like that unless there's some
obvious benefit to the change.

Duncan