[Rd] R CMD check warning with S3 method

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Thu Jun 19 19:15:00 CEST 2014

When you provide a method for a generic function imported from another
package then the generic must be on the search path. Otherwise if a user
types "filter" the dispatch to "filter.test" will never occur.

What is happening here is worse because "filter" is a non-generic
function in the stats package which is always on the search path.

As you note, using "Depends: dplyr" works because it attaches dplyr to
the search path before your test package is loaded. If you use "Imports"
instead then you need to re-export the generic "filter" function from
your package namespace.

You will also need to document the generic function in your package. A
minimal functioning help page that cross-references to the dplyr package
should be sufficient (Note that S4 generics get a free pass here and do
not need to be documented when re-exported, but S3 generics do).

Martyn