[Rd] Is it possible to make install.packages compile source code on Unix but use shipped binary on Windows?

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za
Wed Jun 18 16:10:07 CEST 2014

> Maybe.  Read the documentation and sources for yourself (see below).

Not working, at least in my hands, as it requires `sh`.

> Yes, *and documented*

True. I overlooked the beginning of the NB point.

> (including that it should not be used for Windows executables).

Yes, that's why I use the suggested procedure that uses
src/install.libs.R to copy compiled .exe files into bin<R_ARCH>/.

So, eventually, I guess the answer to the original question is: no,
one cannot make install.packages skip compilation of a source package,
only if on Windows, without having Rtools installed -- and in PATH.

Renaud