[Rd] model.frame and parent environment

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Jun 17 14:52:16 CEST 2014

Duncan,
   You missed the point.  (I sometimes write too tersely, so I take the blame.)  Users are
writing their own "myfun".  I want model.frame to work for them, without forcing the user
to learn environment trickery.   The actual question from the user was a call to
        fit <- coxph(formula, data=nd)
        predict(fit, type='expected')
Within the predict call it is model.frame that fails, in the same way that it does in my
simplified example.

Now within model.frame.coxph (and model.frame.lm) there is the line
       eval(fexpr, env, parent.frame())
where env = environment of the formula and fexpr is an unevaluated call to model.frame.
My underneath question: why is the enclosure argment ignored in this particular case?
Parent.frame includes "nd".

I have to admit that I find the non-functional parts of scheme, which R inherited,
continue to leave me with the emotional response of "why would you add such nastiness to a
language"?   This leaves me at a disadvantage, I suspect, when trying to trace these
things out.  I've not yet seen a situation where I would want a formula to reference
non-local information.

Aside: The horrible decision in S to have "data=" replace rather than augment the scope
for variable matching caused a lot of grief when calling a model inside a function.  The R
paradym fixed that, for which I am grateful, but with serious consequences.

Terry T.