[Rd] Should a package that indirectly Suggests: a vignette engine pass R CMD check?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 14 16:31:33 CEST 2014

On 14/06/2014 13:54, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 14/06/2014, 7:48 AM, Martin Morgan wrote:
>> A package uses VignetteEngine: knitr; the package itself does not Suggests:
>> knitr, but it Suggests: BiocStyle which in turn Suggests: knitr. Nonetheless, R
>> CMD check fails indicating that a package required for checking is not declared.
>> Is it really the intention that the original package duplicate Suggests: knitr?
>
> Yes.  The VignetteEngine setting requires that knitr be available for
> building and checking, but it doesn't imply how.  You need to also
> declare knitr in one of the other ways (Depends, Suggests, etc.).
>
> It would be possible to change the checks so that a dependency of a
> dependency was sufficient, but a suggestion of a suggestion would not
> be. You can pass a check without having the Suggests of BiocStyle
> present, because checking your package doesn't require doing anything
> with BiocStyle that would need its suggestions.  However, I don't think
> it's worth complicating the check code to support this.  If you need
> knitr to be present to build your vignettes, why not just declare it
> explicitly?

This is just checking what 'Writing R Extensions' requires:

'As Sweave is the only engine supplied with the R distribution, the
package providing any other engine must be specified in the
‘VignetteBuilder’ field of the package DESCRIPTION file, and also
specified in the ‘Suggests’, ‘Imports’ or ‘Depends’ field (since its
namespace must be available to build or check your package).'

Note the 'must be' ... it is a requirement.  And various parts of the
software in various versions of R (there have been quite a few variants)
have relied on this.  For example, it is optionally possible to do
build/check without Suggests present (and always without Suggests of
Suggests) and then in some versions some of files intended to be
non-Sweave vignettes were silently ignored.