[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 19:44:39 CEST 2014

On 03/06/2014, 12:58 AM, Yihui Xie wrote:
> Yes, I completely agree the tangle code should run without errors, if
> the package author has provided such a script. However, I think it is
> also the package author's right to choose not to provide such a
> script, for reasons that I stated in the beginning (1. redundancy; 2.
> tangle functions ignore inline expressions that should not be
> ignored).
>
> It seems that I still need to clarify it: I'm not talking about
> disabling _running_ the tangled code, but disabling _generating_ the
> code _optionally_. Unless someone is arguing that the tangled code
> _must_ be generated from vignettes, I do not think anybody in this
> discussion really has a conflict with anybody else.

I think that it's not a vignette if you can't tangle it.  Including
\Sexpr expressions in the tangled code is the sort of option I would
support much more than suppressing the ability to tangle.  (I don't
think \Sexpr expressions should be included by default, but there's
enough flexibility in the system that it shouldn't be hard to include
them optionally.)

> Please also note that I do not expect R core or CRAN maintainers to do
> any extra work: package authors can easily disable tangle by
> themselves without anything special flags to R CMD build or R CMD
> check. The vignettes are still built normally (in terms of "weave"). I
> brought forward the discussion to hear the possible harm that I was
> potentially not aware of when we disable tangle for R package
> vignettes (e.g. does it affect the quality of the package?). So far I
> have not heard real harm (I admit my judgment is subjective).

Several of us have told you the real harm:  it means that users can't
easily extract a script that replicates the computations done in the
vignette.  That's a useful thing to be able to do.

Duncan Murdoch