[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sun Jun 1 05:17:43 CEST 2014

1. The starting point of this discussion is package vignettes, instead
of R scripts. I'm not saying we should abandon R scripts, or all
people should write R code to generate reports. Starting from a
package vignette, you can evaluate it using a weave function, or
evaluate its derivative, namely an R script. I was saying the former
might not be a bad idea, although the latter sounds more familiar to
most R users. For a package vignette, within the context of R CMD
check, is it necessary to do tangle + evaluate _besides_ weave?

2. If you are comfortable with reading pure code without narratives,
I'm totally fine with that. I guess there is nothing to argue on this
point, since it is pretty much personal taste.

3. Yes, you are absolutely correct -- Sweave()/knit() does more than
source(), but let me repeat the issue to be discussed: what harm does
it bring if we disable tangle for R package vignettes?

Sorry if I did not make it clear enough, my priority of this
discussion is the necessity of tangle for package vignettes. After we
finish this issue, I'll be happy to extend the discussion towards
tangle in general.

Regards,
Yihui
--