[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Jun 1 01:20:38 CEST 2014

On 05/31/2014 03:52 PM, Yihui Xie wrote:
> Note the test has been done once in weave, since R CMD check will try
> to rebuild vignettes. The problem is whether the related tools in R
> should change their tangle utilities so we can **repeat** the test,
> and it seems the answer is "no" in my eyes.
>
> Regards,
> Yihui
> --
> Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
> Web: http://yihui.name
>

> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Yihui Xie <xie at yihui.name> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>>

>>> I tend to adopt Henrik's idea, i.e., to provide vignette
>>> engines that just ignore tangle. At the moment, it seems R CMD check

It is very useful, pedagogically and when reproducing analyses, to be able to
source() the tangled .R code into an R session, analogous to running example
code with example(). The documentation for ?Stangle does read

      (Code inside '\Sexpr{}' statements is ignored by 'Stangle'.)

So my 'vote' (recognizing that I don't have one of those) is to incorporate
\Sexpr{} expressions into the tangled code, or to continue to flag use of Sexpr
with side effects as errors (indirectly, by source()ing the tangled code),
rather than writing engines that ignore tangle.

It is very valuable to all parties to write a vignette with code that is fully
evaluated; otherwise, it is too easy for bit rot to seep in, or to 'fake' it in
a way that seems innocent but is misleading.

Martin Morgan