[Rd] [Wishlist] a 'PackageDevelopment' Task View

Luca Braglia lbraglia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 18:23:49 CEST 2014

On 27/07/14 -  08:42, Spencer Graves wrote:
> On 7/27/2014 7:46 AM, Luca Braglia wrote:
> >I'm starting to think I'd like to keep the "Source Code" section
> >separated from the "Documentation" section ...  eg ideally the
> >macro topics could be in this order
> >
> >1 - Creation
> >2 - Source Code
> >3 - Documentation
> >4 - Tools and services (was "Automation")
> >
> >Furthermore IMHO a granular sub-topic structure is a plus (eg
> >few packages for a distinct/well-focused task is no problem,
> >maybe a resource ... )
> >
> >An updated temp TOC (integrating your ideas, and some new
> >packages listed) could be
> >
> >==============================================================
> >
> >1 - Creation
> >

> >   o Creating R packages - utils::package.skeleton, pkgKitten,
> >     Rcpp::Rcpp.package.skeleton
> >

> >2 - Source code
> >

> >   o Foreign languages interfaces - base R support for that,
> >     inline, Rcpp , Rcpp11, rJava
> >
> >   o Debugging - base::debug utils::recover and friends
> >
> >   o Code analysis - codetools
> >
> >   o Profiling - utils::Rprof, aprof, profr, proftools
> >
> >   o Benchmarking - base::system.time, microbenchmarking, rbenchmark
> >
> >   o Unit testing - RUnit, svUnit, testthat
> >

> >3 - Documentation
> >

> >   o Writing Package Documentation (functions, data sets, classes
> >     and methods, packages) - roxygen2
> >
> >   o Writing Vignettes - Sweave, knitr
> >
> >   o Spell checking - tools::aspell_package_* functions
> >4 - Tools and services
> >

> >   o Editors (supporting package development)
> >   o IDEs (supporting package development)
> >
> >   o Makefiles
> >
> >   o Revision control (most common in the R community):
> >     subversion, git
> >
> >   o Hosting services (most common in the R community):
> >     r-forge, github
> >

> >==============================================================
> >

>       I've heard claims that people who write documentation with unit tests
> first tend to get better code faster than people who write the code first
> and documentation (and maybe examples and unit tests) later.  I've heard
> there is research behind this.  However, I'm not sure where to find it.
> Others may be able to suggest publications that support or refute this
> claim.
>

>       In any event, I tend to create (a) documentation first, including (b)
> unit tests in the examples section, before (c) writing code.  When I started
> writing R packages following this model, I felt my software development
> productivity increased by a factor of 5 or so.

Hi Spencer,

I'm trying that way of developing too (test before code), but
the numbering in my previous mail are not meant to be suggestion
for development process/flow steps (apologies for that, it was
only a way to alternate lists (numbers for sections, bullets for
tasks), no numbering is really going to be included in the task
view).

The proposed TOC was compiled in a way that (to me) eases finding which
packages are available, given what are you working on (source code
or documentation) and the specific task you need to accomplish.

Best,
  Luca