[Rd] R-3.1.1 - R CMD INSTALL problem

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jul 25 15:14:18 CEST 2014

Eduardo,

On Jul 24, 2014, at 8:37 PM, Eduardo M. A. M.Mendes <emammendes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have recently upgraded R to the newest version.  Unfortunately my old (fortran and C) R-package cannot be installed anymore (was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it).
>
> I have tried R CMD INSTALL package_name but I noticed that R-3.1.1-binary-mac requests gcc-4.8.2 and specific locations for the libraries (gcc and gfortran).

No, it doesn't. You must be using some other binary that the official CRAN one (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx )
Our binaries only use standard Apple compilers (from Xcode - in recent OS X versions you can use xcode-select --install on the command line to install) plus a GNU Fortran that you can download from CRAN.

> Can someone point me to the documentation on how to install  gcc as R requires, please?
>
> Please note that I have used "brew install gcc" on another mac and soft linked all the necessary libraries so that gcc-4.9.1 can be used as 4.8 (as R requires). However I would like a clean installation.

I you use brew, then you're on your own and you should refer to their support. Our builds do not require brew (or any other 3rd party build system).

Cheers,
Simon

PS: Please note that R-SIG-Mac is the proper mailing list for Mac-specific questions.