[Rd] reserving a package name

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Jul 11 00:59:24 CEST 2014

On 10.07.2014 23:46, Adrian Dușa wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> While wanting to create a package using the name DDI (which stands for Data
> Documentation Initiative), I sent an email to the DDI Alliance and ask if
> they would mind, knowing they are now in the process of copyrighting this
> brand.
>
> The answer I got was negative (due to possible infringements on copyright
> issues), but they thanked me for raising this matter and now asking if a
> package name can actually be reserved.
>
> As far as I know, it works on a first come, first served basis, but I
> think it is still worth asking.
> Since this is not an r-help issue, I have used this list instead.

Well, you cannot reserve a package name. Actually you can choose any
legal name.

The story is different if you want to submit it to BioConductor or CRAN,
then the name must be unique in the BioC + CRAN world. More details in
the CRAN policies, for example.
And yes, it works on n a first come, first served basis there.

Best,
Uwe Ligges