[Rd] [R-SIG-Mac] My first package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 18 16:42:34 CET 2014

On 18/01/2014 15:25, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2014, at 9:31 AM, Axel Urbiz <axel.urbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I'm planning to submit my first package to R, and although I read all the

To CRAN, not 'to R', I guess.

>> documentation, I'm not very clear on the following 2 items, from which I'd
>> appreciate your guidance:
>>

>> 1)I understand it is suggested to use the R dev version to build the

'R-devel', not 'R dev': see the R FAQ.

>> package. Which one specifically should I use to build a package on a Mac
>> OS? How about package dependencies, which version should I install on the R
>> dev version (and where should I get them)?
>>

> You can get latest R-devel builds for Mac OS X from
>
> http://r.research.att.com
>
> and the same is true for binary packages for R-devel - simply use http://r.research.att.com as the repository (in fact most CRAN mirrors should work as well).
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

>> 2) Not sure if this one belongs to this list. Does licensing follow the
>> logic of "inheritance" (i.e. if all the package dependencies of my package
>> are "GPL-2 | GPL-3", does my package need to use the same license agreement?

No, but it needs to use a *compatible* one.  As the default use one
package makes of another is fairly 'hands off', this mainly means that
you cannot require dependencies whose usage conditions contradict those
of your package.  For one specific CRAN interpretation of this, see its
policies.

[Dependencies involving closer connections such as some of those
implemented via LinkingTo may impose more stringent compatibility tests.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk