[Rd] reference class internals

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 10 03:44:10 CET 2014

On Jan 9, 2014, at 6:20 PM, Norm Matloff <matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Bottom line:  Really no different from the case of ordinary vectors that are not in reference classes, right?  In other words, not true pass-by-reference.

The pass-by-reference applies to the object itself, not necessarily to anything you obtain by calling a function on the object (like extracting a part from it). Vectors are not reference-semantics objects so regular rules apply.

If you pass a reference semantics object to a function, the function can modify the object. If you pass any other object, the contents are guaranteed to not be touched. Reference-semantics objects in R are literally passed by reference (same C pointer), so yes, it is true pass-by-reference.

Cheers,
Simon

(*) - technically, there is a thin non-refernce wrapper around the instances of reference classes, because there are things you don't want to happen to your ref-semantics instance - e.g. you don't want unclass(x) to destroy x and all instances of it (which it would do if there was no wrapper). But the actual payload of the object is a true ref-semantics object - an environment - that is always passed by reference.