[Rd] Sweave trims console output in "tex" mode

Kirill Müller kirill.mueller at ivt.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 3 13:32:09 CET 2014

On 01/03/2014 01:06 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 14-01-03 5:47 AM, Kirill Müller wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Do you prefer including the entire
>> original message when replying? Or perhaps I misunderstood you when you
>> wrote:
>
> You don't need to include irrelevant material in your reply, but you
> should include explanatory material when you are arguing about a
> particular claim.  If you aren't sure whether it is relevant or not,
> then you should probably ask for clarification rather than arguing
> with the claim.

Thanks. In the future, I'll quote at least full sentences and everything
they refer to, to avoid confusion and make sure that context is maintained.

>>   > Carriage returns usually don't matter in LaTeX, so I didn't even
>> know
>> about this option, though I use results=tex quite often. I had to look
>> at the source to see where the newlines were going, and saw it there.
>>
>> Could you please clarify? Thanks.
>
> Single carriage returns are usually equivalent to spaces. Multiple
> carriage returns separate paragraphs, but they are rare in code chunk
> output in my Sweave usage.  I normally put plain text in the LaTeX
> part of the Sweave document.

Indeed, it only makes a difference for code that generates large
portions of LaTeX (such as tikzDevice).
> I have checked my own .Rnw files, and I have used results=tex about
> 600 times, but never used strip.white.
>
> I've also looked at the .Rnw files in CRAN packages, and
> strip.white=true and strip.white=all are used there about 140 times,
> but strip.white=false is only used 10 times.  I think only one package
> (SweaveListingUtils) uses strip.white=false in combination with
> results=tex.
>
> So while I agree Martin's "adaptive" option would have been a better
> default than "true", I think it would be more likely to cause trouble
> than to solve it.

I agree, given this data and considering that trimming the terminal
newline can be considered a feature. Perhaps comments are the only use
case where the newline is really important. But then I don't see how to
reliably detect comments, as the catcode for % can be changed, e.g., in
a verbatim environment. I'll consider printing a \relax after the
comment in tikzDevice, this should be robust and sufficient.

-Kirill