[Rd] Sweave trims console output in "tex" mode

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 11:52:27 CET 2014

On 14-01-03 4:57 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>      > On 01/03/2014 01:59 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>      >> But results=tex is not the default.  Having defaults for
>      >> one option depend on the setting for another is
>      >> confusing, so I think the current setting is appropriate.
>
>      > True. On the other hand, I cannot imagine that
>      > "results=tex" is useful at all without
>      > "strip.white=FALSE". If the strip.white option would
>      > auto-adjust, things would "just work". Anyway, I'm not a
>      > very active user of Sweave.
>
> I think in this case,  it would be quite useful if  strip.white
> got a new default,  say "adaptive",  which would becomde FALSE for
> 'results=tex'.
>
> Otherwise, for "safety", we'd have to recommend that
> 'results=tex' is always combined with  strip.white=FALSE,
> which I'd find quite inconvenient.

Old documents could change if you did that, and that's a bad thing.

As I told Kirill (and as he rudely deleted when he quoted me), I use
results=tex frequently, and I had never noticed a problem with this.  In
my usage (and I'd guess in most people's) I never output multiple
paragraphs in paragraph mode from a code chunk.  I would normally just
write that in the LaTeX part of the document.  The results=tex usage is
for the case where I am constructing complicated LaTeX macros (e.g. for
tables), that are too tedious to type by hand.

I can imagine cases where I would output text in paragraph mode, and I
guess Kirill was trying to do that, but they are rare, and it would cost
less for the users of those rare cases to change the strip.white default
than it would for everyone else to do it.

Duncan Murdoch