[Rd] acml blas+lapac in R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 25 11:39:24 CET 2014

Note that this is in the 'R Installation and Administration Manual'.
Please follow the posting guide and check the manuals before posting.

On 25/02/2014 08:42, lejeczek wrote:
> dear experts
>
> I'd like to ask you, probably on behalf all of us who try to use AMD's
> ACML for performance optimisation a question.
> There seem to be problem when these two, R and ACML are coupled,
> described here:
>
> http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1255852#1255852
>
> I'd like to ask, while not being a programmer/developer, how incorrect
> and dangerous this might be?
> maybe such a setup must be avoided all together?

As an R developer is reputed to have said several years ago

'Do you want it fast or do you want it right?'

Handing NAs correctly is pretty fundamental to R's operation.  There are
several other optimized BLAS which are not known to work incorrectly,
and I always use one of those.