[Rd] $new cannot be accessed when running from Rscript and methods package is not loaded

Kirill Müller kirill.mueller at ivt.baug.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 11 03:30:13 CET 2014

On 02/11/2014 03:22 AM, Peter Meilstrup wrote:
> Because "depends" is treated incorrectly (if I may place a value
> judgement on it). I had an earlier thread on this, not sure if any
> changes have taken place since then:
>
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Dependencies-of-Imports-not-attached-td4666529.html
Peter

Thanks. Could you please clarify: The thread you mention refers to a
scenario where a package uses another package that depends on methods.
The issue I'm describing doesn't have this, there is only a single
package that tries to use $new and fails. ?

On that note: A related discussion on R-devel advises depending on
methods, but this doesn't seem to be enough in this case:

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/advise-on-Depends-td4678930.html

-Kirill