[Rd] SUGGESTION: Force install.packages() to use ASCII encoding when parse():ing code?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 12:01:22 CET 2014

On 12/12/2014, 4:12 AM, Bjørn-Helge Mevik wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> users of other languages may want to have messages and variable names
>> in their native language, and ASCII might not be enough for that.
>
> Allowing for messages in non-ASCII encodings would probably be a good
> idea, but I think allowing non-ASCII variable names is dangerous.

Dangerous in what way?

I agree that CRAN probably shouldn't accept packages like that, at least
for exported symbols:  packages there should run anywhere.  But I
suspect that the majority of R packages are for private use, and will
never be sent to CRAN.  Do you know any reason that non-ASCII names
would be dangerous for those?

Duncan Murdoch