[Rd] SUGGESTION: Force install.packages() to use ASCII encoding when parse():ing code?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 11 21:28:54 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/12/2014 12:59 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>
>> SUGGESTION:
>> Would it make sense if install.packages() and friends always use an
>> "ascii"(*) encoding when parse():ing R package source code files?
>

> I think that would be a step backwards.  It would be better to accept other
> encodings.  As an English speaker this isn't a big deal to me, but users of
> other languages may want to have messages and variable names in their native
> language, and ASCII might not be enough for that.

Thanks for the feedback.  While I'll probably agree with you that R
packages should support other source code encodings than ASCII, that
would require a change in the specifications and design.  What I'm
proposing is (just) an adjustment to the implementation to meet the
current specs and design.

> On the other hand, I think it's quite reasonable to require a declared
> encoding if anything other than ASCII is used, and possibly to fail for some
> encodings.  It is probably also reasonable to at least warn when non-ASCII
> characters are used in strings in packages on CRAN, as many users can't
> display all characters.

That would be a reasonable extension of the design, which would be
backward compatible with the current design, i.e. if encoding for the
source code is not declared, then it is assumed to be ASCII.

Source code comments are special, because by the current design
('Writing R Extensions'), it somehow leaves it open to use any type of
encoding.  If I read it freely, it could even be that you can use
different encoding for different comments in the same file (which is
not unlikely to occur considered cut'n'paste and open-source
licenses).  If other encodings are to be supported, then I see two
ways forward:

1. Have R completely ignore what's in the comments (what follows #
until the newline) such that encoding does not matter, or
2. require the same encoding for the source code comments as the rest
of the code.

As I see it, today's design falls (could fall?) under 1, but the
implementation does not go all the way to support it.

/Henrik

PS. It should be emphasized that this is about R packages. AFAIK, you
can already now source() code written in any encoding, e.g.
> raw <- as.raw(c(
+  0xcf, 0x80, 0x20, 0x3c, 0x2d, 0x20, 0x70, 0x69, 0x0a,
+  0x70, 0x72, 0x69, 0x6e, 0x74, 0x28, 0xcf, 0x80, 0x29, 0x0a
+ ))
> writeBin(raw, con="pi.R")
> source("pi.R", encoding="UTF-8")
[1] 3.141593