[Rd] UTF8 markdown vignette

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Tue Dec 9 17:13:10 CET 2014

A few things to clarify:

1. You do not necessarily have to keep the \usepackage{} line if you
use %\VignetteEncoding{UTF-8}, because Pandoc will use UTF-8 anyway in
its LaTeX template.

2. Perhaps the vignette engine in R has done something clever to
convert utf8 to UTF-8, but I'd recommend %\VignetteEncoding{UTF-8}
instead of %\VignetteEncoding{utf8} to make sure it is a valid
encoding name, e.g.

> 'utf8' %in% iconvlist()
[1] FALSE
> 'UTF-8' %in% iconvlist()
[1] TRUE
> 'UTF8' %in% iconvlist()
[1] TRUE

BTW, %\VignetteEncoding is not documented anywhere (Cc'ing Kurt), and
I think it needs to be documented, since the old approach
\usepackage[enc]{inputenc} was basically a hack, which looks really
odd in non-LaTeX vignettes (e.g. HTML vignettes).

3. The default `encoding` argument of rmarkdown::render() is not
relevant here, even if its value is native.enc. When R build a
vignette, it tries to detect its encoding and pass it to the vignette
engine, so the default argument value may not be native.enc.

Lastly, the most important piece of information is missing in this
post: library(rmarkdown); sessionInfo(). There is not a minimal
reproducible example, either. Without these information, I can only
guess blindly.

BTW, you may also try HTML vignettes instead, which is much much
easier to get right than LaTeX in terms of character encodings.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>