[Rd] R on the Cydia Store

Apps Embedded apps.embedded at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:38:32 CET 2014

Hi,

We have published an Android app called R Console on the Play Store since
Décember 2013.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsopensource.R
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsopensource.Rpremium

In the mean time, we have developped its equivalent app for the App Store.
We released it on march 2014. We have been approved from this date by Apple
to publish it world wide.
Recently, we learnt that GPL app are not compatible with the App Store
distribution licence.

Thus we decided to remove the iOS app from the App Store several days ago.

We are thinking of publishing the same app published under Cydia with a
freemium model.
Its licence would be GPL v3.

What we would like to do under Cydia with R Console is to have the
following behavior :
- free version will be able to run recommended packages and graphics are
not enabled. A small ad banner is present on top of the app.
- premium version will be the same as the free version except the ad banner
will not be present anymore and 3 compilers will be integrated into the app
in order to be able to compile and run most of the Cran packages from
source.
- graphics may be added in a second step.

The app will be considered as a bundle of open-source tools. This bundle
will be under the Gnu General Public Licence version 3. Each open-source
tool which contributes to the overall bundle will stay in its original
licence (R is GPL v2 for instance) but the bundle will be GPL v3.

>From your point of view, do you see any legal issue with this project under
Cydia for jailbroken iOS devices?
>From a trademark point of view, is the name of the apps "R Console Free"
and "R Console Premium" ok ?