[Rd] UTF8 markdown vignette

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Dec 9 10:48:38 CET 2014

Dear all,

I'm trying to use a Markdown vignette with UTF-8 encoding. It compiles well when knitting the vignette in RStudio, but it fails to recognize the UTF-8 settings when building the source package. Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong? I tried to put the relevant information below.

Best regards,

Thierry

Details:

Using 64-bit R 3.1.2 with encoding = "native.enc" on Windows 7 with Rstudio 0.97.1091.

The source packages is build using the devtools package. The build command is R --vanilla CMD build  "myPackage" --no-manual  --no-resave-data

The DESCRIPTION file has

VignetteBuilder: knitr
Suggests: knitr
Imports: rmarkdown

The markdown vignette YAML contains
vignette: >
  %\VignetteEngine{knitr::rmarkdown}
  %\VignetteIndexEntry{The title}
  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

The custom output style converts the markdown to beamer with the --latex-engine = xelatex flag.

The vignette in tar.gz passes R --vanilla CMD check  --timings --as-cran

* checking files in 'vignettes' ... OK
* checking for unstated dependencies in vignettes ... OK
* checking package vignettes in 'inst/doc' ... OK
* checking running R code from vignettes ...
   'markdown_intro.Rmd' using 'UTF-8' ... OK
OK
* checking re-building of vignette outputs ... [22s] OK

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey

Disclaimer Bezoek onze website / Visit our website<https://drupal.inbo.be/nl/disclaimer-mailberichten-van-het-inbo>