[Rd] Please make Pre-3.1 read.csv (type.convert) behavior available

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Apr 26 14:26:45 CEST 2014

On 26 April 2014 at 07:28, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| On 26/04/2014, 12:23 AM, Tom Kraljevic wrote:
| >
| > Hi,
| >
| > We at 0xdata use Java and R together, and the new behavior for read.csv has
| > made R unable to read the output of Java’s Double.toString().
|
| It may be less convenient, but it's certainly not "unable".  Use colClasses.
|

| > This, needless to say, is disruptive for us.  (Actually, it was downright shocking.)
|
| It wouldn't have been a shock if you had tested pre-release versions.
| Commercial users of R should be contributing to its development, and
| that's a really easy way to do so.

Seconded. For what it is worth, I made five pre-release available within
Debian. Testing thses each was just an apt-get away.

In any event, you can also farm out the old behaviour to a (local or even
CRAN) package that provides the old behaviour if your life depends upon it.

Or you could real serialization rather than relying on the crutch that is csv.

Dirk