[Rd] The regular expressions in compareVersion()

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Fri Apr 25 04:15:25 CEST 2014

You are right that this is unlikely to cause problems, because users
are unlikely to put backslashes in version numbers. Henrik has pointed
out the problem. It is not about "making the source code a little
cleaner", but "making it correct". Either someone in R core corrects
the wrong regular expressions in a few seconds (unless you think \ can
be a legal character in a version number), or I just give up the
report. It seems the latter is easier. It is not worth additional
Q&A's back and forth.

Regarding the regular expression problem for \Sexpr{} in Sweave,
please see here for a record:
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Sweave-printing-an-underscore-in-the-output-from-an-R-command-td4675177.html
As I said, it is a similar problem: someone tried to escape a
character that did not need to be escaped in [].

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>