[Rd] R 3.1.0: 'R CMD Sweave' deletes non tex files created upon batch mode exit

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 21 00:43:31 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Martin Maechler
<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> you are welcome, and thanked again together with everyone who
> spends the little extra time for checking / using "the next
> version of R" -- in general, i.e., on a regular basis.

With the risk of starting another flamewar I would like to point out
that a natural way to encourage use of r-patched/r-dev would be
extending the R release cycle to CRAN packages as was proposed on this
mailing list a couple of weeks ago.

If install.packages would default to downloading frozen/stable CRAN
packages in r-release, and download the very latest CRAN packages in
r-patched/r-dev, then most developers would probably switch to r-dev.
Thereby they would automatically be using the latest ("devel")
versions of base packages in the same way as they currently test their
script/project/package to work with the latest ("current") versions of
CRAN packages.