[Rd] type.convert and doubles

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 20:48:34 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2014, at 9:00 AM, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
>
> I think there should be two separate discussions:
>
> a) have an option (argument to type.convert and possibly read.table) to enable/disable this behavior. I'm strongly in favor of this.
>
> b) decide what the default for a) will be. I have no strong opinion, I can see arguments in both directions
>
> But most importantly I think a) is better than the status quo - even if the discussion about b) drags out.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Another possibility is:

(c) Return the column as factor/character but with a distinguishing
class so that the user can reset its class later. e.g.

DF <- read.table(...)
DF[] <- lapply(DF, function(x) if (inherits(x, "special.class"))
as.numeric(x) else x)

Personally I would go with (a) in both type.convert and read.table
with a default that reflects the historical behavior rather than the
current 3.1 behavior.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.