[Rd] Package vignettes share the same environment?

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sun Apr 6 04:37:03 CEST 2014

By "quite slow" start-up time on Windows, you mean on the order of 1
or 2 seconds? That is probably not too bad, when we weigh it against
the confusion from compiling all vignettes in the same R session.

knitr::knit() has an 'envir' argument that specifies the environment
in which the code chunks are executed, but at the moment it is not
easy to pass additional arguments to the vignette engine. Of course,
one way is to define a new vignette engine, and that is not too hard:
it is basically something like knitr::knit(file, envir = new.env()).

But as mentioned below, there are other things shared in the same
session such as options(). I guess the cleanest way is still to start
new R sessions.

Regards,
Yihui
--