[Rd] Problems when moving to Imports from Depends

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 00:05:59 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
<kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> This is a relatively "new" warning from R CMD check (for some definition of
> new).  The authors of Hmisc have clearly not yet gone through the process of
> cleaning it up, as you are doing right now (and there are many other
> packages that still need to address this, including several of mine).  Given
> who the authors are of Hmisc, I would suggest writing to them and ask them
> to look into this, and ask for a time estimate.

thanks for the suggestion, but I must be missing something: since
Hmisc imports survival (as well as Depends: on it), what can Hmisc
change to make the survival functionality visible to my package?

> In the meantime, you may have to do something about this, and whatever you
> do I would suggest following the Hmisc package and undo it as soon as
> possible, as the right thing is to fix Hmisc.  Having said that, it is not
> clear to me that you can easily solve this yourself, because I don't think
> that putting survival into your own imports will make the package available
> to Hmisc functions, but it is not impossible there is some way around it.

Well, as I said, things work fine if I leave Hmisc in the Depends:
field, which, however, is against CRAN policy. The trouble is that I
don't have a good way of checking whether something breaks by moving a
package from Depends into Imports...

Peter