[Rd] FOSS licence with BuildVignettes: false

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 17 10:25:14 CEST 2013

On 16/09/2013 15:49, Paul Gilbert wrote:
> On 13-09-16 05:19 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Yes, and I could see really rare circumstances where vignette building
>> takes a long time and the maintainer decides not to build vignettes as
>> part of the daily checks.
>
> I thought 'BuildVignettes: FALSE' only turns of assembling the pdf, all
> the code is still run.  I don't think that would affect the time very
> much. Am I wrong (again)?

Yes, as the code is run again to re-build the vignettes.

The main use of BuildVignettes: FALSE is when building the vignettes
requires unusual facilities -- presumably not R ones as it does not turn
off running the code.  However, for a FOSS package, the means to
re-build the vignettes has to available to others, and CRAN therefore
tries it so see if all the sources are available.  Almost every time we
uncover some problem with the sources and stale vignette PDFs.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk