[Rd] declaring package dependencies

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Sep 15 02:24:57 CEST 2013

On 14 September 2013 at 19:01, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| On 13-09-14 9:14 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| > |
| > | Let me paraphrase that:  "The CRAN maintainers do a lot of work, and it
| > | helps me a lot, but if they only did a little bit more work it would
| > | help me even more."
| > |
| > | I suspect they'd be more receptive to suggestions that had them doing
| > | less work, not more.
| >
| > Presumably that also holds for the authors of the 4800+ packages.
|
| No, I don't think it does.  What benefit do the CRAN maintainers get
| from them?

As explained by others in the thread, if forthcoming were more clearly
communicated, package authors would be prepared and the CRAN maintainers
would not have to explain it one-by-one as changes are implemented with no
forewarning.

| > But my point is not the about "less", it is about "more predictable".
| > Currently, the system appears to be anything but.  We can do better.
|
| Then go ahead.  Do better.

I am trying, eg via this discussion.

But you have now managed to sap all energy I may have had.  I am done here.

Dirk