[Rd] declaring package dependencies

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 13 18:15:22 CEST 2013

Dear Duncan and Michael,

If I understand this thread, Michael's package doesn't use loglm() -- it
provides methods for objects produced by loglm() and hence "Enhances" the
package.

> On the other hand, require(pkg) is really simple; we have no equivalent
> function that only does the loading, without attaching.
> So it's hard to write
>
> if (requireLoadable(MASS)) {
>    MASS::loglm( ... )
> }

I understand why one would want to do this sort of thing (say, using
requireNamespace), to avoid attaching the MASS package to the search path
and possibly shadowing objects on the path, but I think that most users --
as opposed to R developers -- will find the package::function( ... ) syntax
in examples not so much ugly as cryptic. I think that we have ample recent
evidence on this list that even developers (I don't exempt myself) are
confused by namespace issues. On balance, I prefer

	if (require(MASS)) {
		loglm( ...)
	}

which tells the user that it's necessary to load MASS before using loglm().

It would be nice if examples ran in a "sandbox," so that an example could
read something like

	library(MASS)
	loglm( ... )
	. . .

without affecting the path in the current session, and fail gracefully if
the MASS package weren't available (unlikely, of course, in the case of
MASS, but not more generally).

Best,
 John