[Rd] Invalid UTF-8 with gsub(perl=TRUE) and iconv(sub="")

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Mon Sep 9 11:00:27 CEST 2013

...and of course I forgot to add relevant information. This is with
Fedora 19, R 3.0.1 and a UTF-8 locale.

On Windows 7 the problem does not appear, i.e. the gsub(perl=TRUE) call
does not generate any error and \U3e3965 prints a Chinese character
(AFAICT).

R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16)
Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=fr_FR.utf8        LC_COLLATE=fr_FR.utf8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=fr_FR.utf8    LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8
 [7] LC_PAPER=C                LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C