[Rd] advise on Depends

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Oct 25 22:58:00 CEST 2013

On 25 October 2013 at 13:39, John Chambers wrote:
| One additional point to Michael's summary:
|
| The "methods" package itself should stay in Depends:, to be safe.
|
| There are a number of function calls to the methods package that may be included in generated methods for user classes.  These have not been revised to work when the methods package is not attached, so importing the package only may run into problems.  This has been an issue, for example, in using Rscript.

Right.

Our command-line / scripting frontend r from the littler package has always
defaulted to loading "methods".  And as r is a small and fully compiled
binary, it still starts up faster than Rscript by a nice margin even though
it has to load the "methods" package.  But who cares about 200 msec.  :)

Dirk