[Rd] Replacing the Random Number Generator in Stand Alone Library

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:31:36 CEST 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 02:41 , Nigel Delaney wrote:

> Okay, so I am guessing everyone had the same response I initially did when
> hearing that this RNG might not be so hot*...  as an alternate question, if
> I submitted a patch to replace the current RNG with the twister, would it be
> accepted?

Quite possibly.

I think the reason you get no reply could be that nobody really knows to what extent the standalone library is being used, and what repercussions an internal change might have. (E.g., if a change in the seed format causes applications to crash and burn, users might not appreciate the improved RNG...)

The RNG issues really are serious, and affect actual applications. This was hashed out about 10 years ago and eventually fixed somewhere around R 1.6--1.7.

> RNGversion("1.6.0")
Warning message:
In RNGkind("Marsaglia-Multicarry", "Buggy Kinderman-Ramage") :
  buggy version of Kinderman-Ramage generator used
> s <- replicate(1e6, max(rnorm(100)))
> plot(density(s))
> m <- matrix(runif(8e7),2)
> plot(m[1,],m[2,], xlim=c(0,1e-3), pch=".")

(The bug in the K-R generator isn't relevant here, but the pattern of RNG usage in K-R is what creates the ripple effect in the first plot. Changing _either_ of the two generators removes the effect.)

-pd