[Rd] discrepancy between r cmd check --as-cran and messages at submission

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 15 13:30:50 CEST 2013

On 15/10/2013 01:04, corentin barbu wrote:
> Dear r-devel list,
>
> I've observed at both of my submissions that issues arise at submission
> that were not pointed out by
> R cmd check --as-cran
>
> For example at my last submission:
>
> You have
> VignetteBuilder: knitr
> but there is nothing looking like a vignette in your source package....
>
> We also see:
>
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... NOTE
> Author field differs from that derived from Authors at R
>    Author:    'Corentin M Barbu <corentin.barbu at gmail.com> [aut, cre],
> Sebastian Gibb <mail at sebastiangibb.de> [ctb]'
>    Authors at R: 'Corentin M Barbu [aut, cre], Sebastian Gibb [ctb]'
>
> Maintainer field differs from that derived from Authors at R
>    Maintainer: 'Corentin M. Barbu <corentin.barbu at gmail.com>'
>    Authors at R:  'Corentin M Barbu <corentin.barbu at gmail.com>'
>
> Both were stupid mistakes, largely due to my inexperience but none was
> detected by R cmd check --as-cran or even at build by
>
> http://win-builder.r-project.org/upload.aspx
>
> Is there anything else I can use to better check my packages before
> submission?

Yes, follow the CRAN policies:

'Please ensure that R CMD check --as-cran has been run on the tarball to
be uploaded before submission. This should be done with the current
version of R-devel (or if that is not possible, current R-patched or the
current release of R.)'

The check of Authors at R is in R-devel only, and requires --as-cran.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk