[Rd] user defined macros in Rd files

R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt@gmail.com> michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 00:49:45 CEST 2013

On Oct 9, 2013, at 21:18, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13-10-09 7:54 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>

>> On my related wishlist: A standardized mechanism to 'R CMD build' for
>> building man/*.Rd from any input format (e.g. roxygen and so on)
>> analogously how we can now build vignettes of any input format.  With
>> that in place, it would a be piece of cake to include macros from
>> external files.
>>
>> Just wanted to throw it out there.
>
> No, we certainly won't do that.  We rely on being able to process the Rd files in multiple ways.

I'm a but confused here Duncan:

Henrik's proposal still results in the Rd files being created and then all of the cool things which get done (example checking, HTML, PDF, etc.) can carry on as usual. Since those are all done from the tarball by R CMD build, they can't know how the Rd files were created in the first place.

Can you say a bit more about what would break? I'm afraid I'm missing something obvious.

Michael