[Rd] Allow semantic versioning for packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Oct 5 13:42:49 CEST 2013

Gabor,

what you propose is not really feasible, because R relies on the fact that it can meaningfully order the the versions as to determine the update order. If you use arbitrary strings then ordering becomes random - that's why git commit hashes are so useless for this purpose. The fact that you are forced to use something meaningful is for a good reason here.

Cheers,
Simon