[Rd] Setting locale to support UTF-8

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 21:09:29 CET 2013

In Sweave, if the locale is set to C, non-ASCII characters are not
handled nicely even if I declare the encoding of the file to be "UTF-8".
  I'm trying to find a workaround for this, because I'm using Sweave
from within TeXShop.   TeXShop runs its typesetting engines in the C
locale, and non-ascii characters are messed up.

Is there a way to declare that I am in a "generic" UTF-8 locale?  It is
like the C locale in other respects, but it knows about UTF-8 characters.

Duncan Murdoch